Yesterday was one of those wonderful summer days...it started actually the night before. We had that little rain storm just as it was getting dark outside and of course all my windows are open because I don't care for a stuffy house. I went to bed smelling that smell of rain soaking into the ground after it's been hot for a long time. I love that smell, and some one must have mowed their lawn late that day cause you could still smell that fresh cut grass smell as well. So I slept so good that night. Funny how smells can put you in a good mood or suddenly transport you to a specific moment in your past.
Amanda and I were meeting the rest of my family up at the lake for the day. Sam and Harley spent the night up there with everyone so they were already there. As we drove up the clouds looked pretty threatening but as we came around the last corner everything just kinda broke and there was SUN! We drove through the campground and again more of my favorite summer smells. Campfires of course and from there I think we could tell what everyone was cookin up for breakfast...pancakes, bacon, and we saw all the little ones still in their pj's it was sooo cute. So the kids all had a great day surfing, wake boarding, tubing and just playing in the water. The girls were so cute they of course had their towels layed out in a row and they just giggled and laughed and soaked up the sun all day. It was a great time. I'm sure that everyone will agree that camping and boating have always been the best family times. It's nice to get out on the boat with just us and cruise around the lake or watch the kids trying to out do each other with funny tricks on the surfboard. Just floating out in the middle...the boat rocking back and forth, the music playing , Ken just about asleep and someone yells "last one in's a rotten egg!!!" well you know what happens next...it's mad bail out of the boat. Ken of course always the last one usually started up the boat and jokingly putted away while we were all out in the water. (I love the boat smells too...even the exhuast. I know, a little strange.) It was always the same but we all laughted and joked about it the rest of the day. Great times !
Harley and I drove home together because he had football. The girls stayed a little longer to get all they could out of the day. Harley slept most of the way home. It was a nice quiet drive after a busy but relaxing day. When the girls got home the day ended with unpacking and the oooze and aaaw's of "maybe I got a little burnt today" the linguring smell of wet lake towels, well tanned skin and tropical oil. A perfect ending to a summer day!
"We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures." -Thornton Wilder
Thursday, July 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Hey Jamie,
I love all those smells you were talking about too. But I also like (not love) the smell of skunk. Now that is really wierd I know. Not too many days of summer left before football starts. Have a great day. Pam
Post a Comment