"Each day of our lives we make deposits in the memory banks of our children." -Charles R. Swindoll

My Family

My Family
"We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures." -Thornton Wilder

Friday, July 25, 2008

One of those Days...

Today was for sure one of those days when every little thing just didn't settle right. I hope I'm not the only one that has those. I'm sure I'm not....maybe they just happen in different ways. The one thing in my life that I am most proud of is of course my kids. Just like a lot of other people.
I knew that I wanted to be a mom ever since I could remember. In high school, I had pictures of babies up my locker while other girls had pics of Scott Biao, leif Garrett, Micheal Jackson(who knew then?)and whoever their favorite band happen to be at that time.
I have three wonderful children. Samantha is my oldest. A sophomore attending Southern Oregon University. She is studying business and communications. And is a starting outside hitter for the volleyball team. Amanda is next. A senior this year in high school. She is captain of the dance team and trying to decide what she wants to do next year. Maybe join Sam at Southern or OSU to study photography. Harley is my youngest. He'll be a sophomore in high school . His biggest concern right now is his own reflection in the mirror and what his next meal will be. ha ha!
I hope that when my kids start raising their own children they will remember how hard I worked at being mom. I will always admit that I was hard on my kids growing up. I mean they were taught the same things I was. Respect, morals, hard work that kinda stuff and they were held responsible for their mistakes. I fact I remember a friend saying to me once that I was quite the disciplinarian. But I held fast because I knew that was teaching them what needed to be taught. As much as I was tough I was always that loving. The title of my home page " Little things long remembered" is actually from a book someone gave me a long time ago about making your children feel special every day, like putting that weed they picked for you in a glass of water or putting notes in their lunches for that field trip. I love that kind of thing, even if they are too old now for some things I think they still get a kick out of it. We always have lots of hugs and I love yous to go around.
My kids are far from perfect...I am far from perfect. But like I said when mistakes are made I make sure that things are made right. It's not always easy to say sorry or ask for forgivness but it is a lesson learned and something you usually don't forget about.
So my whole "One of those days" things comes down to this. My children, my family, are my life. It's why I was put here and why I work so hard at it. So when someone questions how I raise my kids I get really defensive about it. I put everything I have into them. I don't take it lightly. (Know one should take it lightly!) It's probably the one single thing in this world that you could possibly offend me about. To think that someone would think I would let any of my kids get away with a screw up and not pay the price...it infuriates me. There's no reason for it. I always tell them... you do the crime you pay the time and usually in this house they do over time. No getting off for good behavior. Ugh!!! it just shoots down everything I work for and makes me question myself as a parent and I really dislike that. It probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense to anyone unless you know the whole story but it doesn't need to be re-hashed. I'm using this as my venting tool today. Sorry, but it does feel good to let it all out!
So I'm going to try and move past all this now and am reassuring myself that as long as I do my job as a parent, teach them, listen to them and most important love them that they will always be the great kids they are. They will make mistakes along the way, so will I but, we will all learn from them and move on to be better people.

1 comment:

My Grandkids ROCK said...

Jamie you are an awesome mom. YOu have a great husband and awesome kids. I know what you mean. I am like a mama bear if you mess with my kids (and grandkids) Love them to pieces. Pam